Friday, January 18, 2008

Israel

Users may have noted that I have recently added a pro-Israel logo to the sidebar here.

I make no apology for being an unreserved supporter of Israel. I regard Israel as one of the great adventures of the human spirit and the Bible as a Jewish book.

I might however add that my ancestry is all traceable to the British Isles and my religious background is Presbyterian. I am of course an atheist but in Ireland I would be asked: "But are you a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?" Perhaps because of my part-Irish origins, I regard that as a reasonable question. But however you look at it I am not Jewish.

I cannot however understand why anybody who regards the Bible as holy does not also regard Israel as deserving of every support. Fortunately, American Bible-believing Christians ARE strong supporters of Israel. There is some logic left in the world.