Tuesday, November 18, 2008



Must not say India is a 'Third World country'

Even though it is:
"An off-the-cuff remark by Australian [cricket] batsman Matthew Hayden labelling India a "Third World" country appears to have dented national pride and provoked an angry response on the sub-continent. In response, Australia has been labelled "no more than a village" and described as being 100 years behind India.

On his return from India last week, where Australia lost 2-nil and was heavily criticised for slow over rates, Hayden told reporters that some of the blame rested with opposition batsmen and officials. "Often we find ourselves with hands on hips waiting for someone to either face up or someone in the sightboard to move away; all the little frustrations that happen in Third World countries and the heat as well."

The comment was widely picked up in the Indian press and on cable TV and triggered a furious response from proud Indians.

Source

I myself am very pro-Indian. I even fly the Indian flag from the flagpole at the front of my house most days. But reality is reality and if you have ever been to India, you will know what "third world" means.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I myself am very pro-Indian. I even fly the Indian flag from the flagpole at the front of my house most days.".... JonJay

Do most of your neighbors wonder why you're not living in India?

'Eddie Willers' said...

LOL!
It reminded me of the vituperation I have received for calling Mexico 'third world' - I consider that living here and being married to one of its nationals constitutes sufficient knowledge to make such a judegment.