Thursday, April 23, 2009



Must not mention the word "Kaffir" in South Africa

We read:
"One of South Africa’s major kwaito hits, Kaffir, released 14 years ago and recently replayed on 5FM, has cost the station a R10000 [$1,000] fine, imposed by the broadcast watchdog.

But the DJ at the centre of the fuss has blamed the outcry on “white guilt”.

The Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa (BCCSA) ruled this week that Arthur Mafokate’s controversial 1995 protest song has “no place” in a country where “political correctness and sensitivity need to be practised”.

The song, considered a classic, starts with the words: Kom hier, kaffer, kom hier! Hoekom het jy nie my kar skoongemaak nie. .. Bliksem! The reaction follows: Baas, don’t call me a kaffir...

The song goes on to say: I don’t come from the devil, don’t call me a kaffir, you won’t like it if I call you baboon.

Source

"Kaffir" was once the normal word for a black in South Africa and there is no doubt that Afrikaners often used it contemptuously. But blacks these days don't seem to be bothered by the above usage of it. It is politically correct whites who think the word should no longer be mentioned at all

The word actually comes from the Arabic "kuffar", a non-Muslim. African whites got it off Arab slavers. Arabs thought African "kuffars" had no rights so could be enslaved. Many Arabs seem to have similar attitudes to this day.

I have never studied either Afrikaans or Dutch and Babelfish does not recognize Afrikaans but let me have a stab at translating the above bit anyway: "Come here, n*gger, come here! How come that you haven't cleaned my car. Hurry up!". Note that the black replied in English. They often did that in the Apartheid era, which did tend to annoy the Afrikaners (whites of Dutch origin). "Baas" is "boss".

I know I have some Dutch readers so I look forward to their comments on my translation.

Update

I have had an email from a reader about my translation. I got only the word "bliksem" wrong. I thought that the literal meaning was "lightning" and I was right about that but I guessed wrongly about its idiomatic usage. It is actually used in quite a variety of ways but in the above context it is a term of abuse roughly equivalent to "bastard". And I also didn't give the full flavor of "Baas". As my reader says: "It does mean "boss" but it means much more. The use of the word by the black indicates a submissive attitude. No white ever used the word "baas" in reference to another person and a black was expected to use it to a white, regardless of whether or not that white was his "boss".

My reader also included a couple of quite funny South African jokes which I had better not repeat here or Google might come down on me like a ton of bricks. So, even though this blog is anti-censorship, I still have to censor some things! Pretty sad. Mourn for your lost liberties, O my readers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is always politically correct, leftist Whites who object to anything that is said which they disagree with. A perfect reason to totally ignore them.

Anonymous said...

It's true - it's usually the guilty white people who make the most noise.

For example - my fiance was born in Hong Kong. Her father is from northern China and her mother is Taiwanese. But when I called her "Chinese" in front of a bunch of people one time I was told how I shouldn't use that term - the proper term is "Asian". When she caught wind of it her reply was "I'm not Japanese or Korean or Vietnamese - I'm Chinese and proud of it. Or is it just that we all look alike to you white people?". Needless to say the rest of the crowd didn't have any real good explanations, but it was fun to watch them try to tapdance.

BTW - You know what she calls herself when we're in private? My "little Chinklet" - how's THAT for politically incorrect!

Anonymous said...

Oy vey, I prefer the Yiddish word Shvartza!

Anonymous said...

You can't even play a song that decries the use of the term???
Are black rap artist's music that constantly use the word 'nigger' also banned?
I shake my head and wonder what type of world we are creating for our children...

JR said...

Afrikaans does have same word as the Yiddish -- "Swart"

Both are from the German "Schwartz" and both just mean black -- as does the Latin "niger"

Anonymous said...

Both are from the German "Schwartz" and both just mean blackThe German word is sans "t".

Anonymous said...

And the English word "swarthy" comes from it too.