Wednesday, June 03, 2009



Prominent English cricketer speaks out

We read:
"Andrew Flintoff may have to apologise for his anti-immigrant outburst to GQ magazine.

The England all-rounder, 31, told GQ magazine: “I have no problems with a multicultural society, I think that is to the benefit of the country. But you have to be careful what levels you take it to. “It annoys me when I phone a hotel receptionist in my own country and they don’t understand what I am saying because they don’t speak English. “I think that’s wrong, it’s nothing to do with being politically correct or incorrect, it’s just not right.”

Flintoff, who is married to Rachael, 30, and has a daughter Holly, four, and sons Corey, three, and Rocky, one, also put the blame on rising violence on rap music. “I see Manchester on a Friday night and I would be horrified seeing my daughter going to the bars," Flintoff added. “There are places I wouldn’t go to now. You see these reports of stabbings, bottlings, shootings, and you think: ‘What is happening to this country?’ “I think rap music has a lot to do with it. It makes it sound cool not to conform, and to be violent.

SOURCE

There have been plenty of criticisms of the antisocial content of rap music and it irritates many Americans that they have to press "1" for English so it is difficult to see what Flintoff said that is so egregious. But he was of course speaking in authoritarian Britain, where speech about many topics is heavily restricted

5 comments:

The Times Observer said...

I truly hope that he doesn't apology. Being from America, I hate that I have to hit #1 just to hear something in my own language.

Anonymous said...

The only thing wrong with what he said, is that it's true. Here in Amerika, speaking English has become a rarity. Is that simply a sign of multiculturalism? No, it's a sign that a nation, it's history, it's traditions, it's culture, and it's very foundation, are dying.

Anonymous said...

However, even within a given country a local accent or dialect can be hard to understand for someone from a different part of the SAME country, and both persons may be natives of it!

Bobby said...

"The English can't speak their own language and refuse to teach their children to do so." ~George Bernard Shaw

From My Fair Lady
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owWPgUyK7DY

Anonymous said...

You have to admit though, there's really nothing quite as funny as hearing someone use American gang slang with a broad northern english accent.

"Eh up me 'omies!"
"Word to yer mam!"