Sunday, October 10, 2010

Must not joke about homosexuals

We read:
"A top Hollywood studio agreed to recut a movie trailer overnight after a string of gay celebrities complained that it featured a joke that was insulting to homosexuals.

The trailer for The Dilemma opened with star Vince Vaughn making a joke to a group of businessmen. “Ladies and gentlemen, electric cars are gay,” Vaughn said. “I mean, not homosexual gay, but my-parents-are-chaperoning-the-dance gay.”

The incident attracted the attention of gay US celebrities such as Ellen DeGeneres and CNN host Anderson Cooper, who said earlier this week that the trailer reminded him of school bullying. “We’ve got to do something to make those words unacceptable,” Cooper said.

Although executives at Universal Studios claimed to be bewildered by the controversy - alleging that they showed it to gay rights groups in advance – they agreed to alter the trailer, the report said.

Source

I neither get the joke nor see what is wrong with it so I guess that shows how "hip" I am not. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

7 comments:

Angry American said...

To help enlighten you jon, the"my-parents-are-chaperoning-the-dance gay" is equivalent to lame, something socially abhorrent and undesired, referring to youth socialization; not as in same sex, 'fudge-packing,' effeminate, sex based relationship gay, which is completely acceptable, lauded and encouraged in progressive and culturally superior society.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of those stupid commercials where a celebrity (Wanda Sykes etc) walk up to people who say things like "That's so gay" and verbally berate them for being "insensative" and tells us all to watch what we say. It is incredible that they want to censor people and do not realize that the meaning of words evolve. One example is the word gay itself, which used to mean happy, not homosexual.

Anonymous said...

more liberal fascism at work

Anonymous said...

what's new??

Anonymous said...

It's time that the word gay meant anything but homosexual. It is time to end the hijacking of the English language by minorities for their exclusive use. Take back your language now.
I wonder if other languages have the same problem?

Anonymous said...

It won't matter what they change the language into. Any term, title, or word that describes the lifestyle and behavior of sexual and societal deviancy can be used in a negative fashion. Call them Wholesalers and you'll find people saying.. "Damn, that's so wholesale." sooner or later.

Malcolm said...

I remember a time I was riding my bike down some back street and passed a couple of kids. One of them announced - presumably for me to overhear - "Well, what do you know? A homosexual!"
I thought that was one of the most bizarre and pointless comments I had ever heard. I suspect he had just learnt the word, and decided it made a good insult to throw at any passerby.