Friday, August 31, 2012



Huge abuse from bicycle haters

Report from an Australian bicycle-rider below.  Bicycle riders irritate me too at times but I don't agree with anybody obstructing them or anybody else. 

The issue here however is what should be done (if anything) about abusive comments on blogs etc.  I get plenty but they are like water off a duck's back to me.  I see no reason why I should be bothered by what mental midgets say  -- and the abusive comments I get are invariably from people who clearly don't know what they are talking about.  I am rather of the view that only emptyheads resort to abuse.  It's a poor substitute for rational argument.

Still, I do understand that many people are distressed by abuse.  And I can see that political commentary and personal abuse are  different issues.  I would not be too disturbed if personal abuse were treated as a form of libel


To recap. I'd just filed last week's column on cycling. It was a nice day, and I took a ride up the bike path to Rushcutters Bay. After three major whole-path blockages I said, to truck driver No.3, "nice place to park". No abuse. No anger. Just that.

Had he said, "sorry love, won't be long", I'd have thought nothing more, dismounted, walked around. But he became immediately aggressive, insisting on his right to block the lane (but not the road) and dissing bike lane-loving lord mayor Clover Moore for being "an educated woman". As he stalked off I took a couple of pics of his unmarked truck and posted them on my blog.

I was a bit miffed, but not angry. Had no desire he be fined. (As if.)

My point was simple: why does everyone seem to think it's OK to block bikes but not cars?

Anyway, all hell broke loose. By breakfast, my humdrum little blog had 50 comments and a thousand hits. By day's end, almost 4000.

I was called a pompous prat, a rude and viscious (sic) idiot, an incredibly stupid woman, a small sad person, a pompous git, an old commie bat, an absolute wanker, a poor little suffering Doctor princess pet, a moron, an imbecile, a pestiferous little idiot, a selfish fool, an arrogant conceited woman, an old tart, an old fart, a dolt, lord of the bicycle paths, a wowser, pathetic, despicable, weak, dishonest and a complete f---wit.

I understand the truckie didn't like being outed. But it's that old privacy thing: if you wouldn't want it known, don't do it. If it was OK for him to do it, it was okay for me to say so.

Source


9 comments:

jwenting said...

bicycle drivers can be irritating indeed, they often think they own the road (not just the bicycle lane) because of laws that make car drivers automatically financially and legally responsible for any accidents that may happen (thus car drivers are excessively careful around them, reinforcing that self image of invincibility and power).

Of course truck drivers are even worse, because they not only know that nothing's going to harm them (a bicycle and most cars won't dent them, won't even scratch the paint) but if they do get fined their employers will foot the bill and they'll at most get asked for an explanation for the violation, which will be accepted as long as it's one that tells the violation was made to save time (and thus money)...).

Anonymous said...

Now i know where NYC's "bike-obsessed" DOT commissioner, Jeanette-Hussein-Bin Laden, or whatever her name is, got her goofy idea of turning Manhattan into one huge, green, bike lane. And in NYC, cyclists drive more crazy than motorists, They ignore every traffic rule, ride on the sidewalks, and generally endanger everyone, simply because they now feel they have "official protection and immunity".

And that's why many NYC motorists aim for them.

Anonymous said...

That's all the fault of the "traffic planners" or whatever they call themselves. In Scandinavia and many parts of Europe there are usually very separate lanes for cycles (sometimes entirely separated from the motor traffic). But trucks ought to be confined to their own lanes on at least the freeways, if not on every other road they are allowed on.

Anonymous said...

General lee to lose confederate battle flag

http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/autos-famed-tv-car-general-lee-loses-its-confederate-flag/

Anon 3:11 said...

Anon 3:33, that may be possible in Scaninavia, but here in NYC, with almsot 10 million people, and almost double that number of vehicles, it's a bit more difficult. Like, impossible!

Anonymous said...

Annon 3:11, that's the problem, millions of.vehicles. While I am an avid cyclist who often commutes to work, I have to agree with some of the comments critical of cyclists. I always try to obey the traffic laws and yield to cars, unfortunately most cyclist do not. For some idiotic reason they insist.on riding the wrong way. I have.nearly run over a few with my truck, only to get the finger.when they are in the wrong. This makes it more dangerous for law abiding cyclists because motorists resent cyclists as a group.

Anonymous said...

“Cyclists want the rights and privileges of both vehicles and pedestrians but the responsibilities of neither.”

I'm a car, I'm a pedestrian, I'm a car, I'm a pedestrian, I'm a car, I'm a pedestrian...

On the sidewalk, in the road, blow past the stop sign, weave between vehicles...

Anonymous said...

So I guess it's beyond the wit of the NYC authorities to create bike lanes and bus lanes or reduce car traffic with charges to enter central areas, as other major cities in the world have done.

Anonymous said...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2196310/This-shouldnt-happen-anymore-White-man-beaten-pulp-public-square-dating-African-American-woman-Georgia.html

Apparently the DM didn't get the memo that stories like this are to be buried.