Wednesday, January 28, 2015




The vast incorrectness of "colored"

Someone should tell the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People)

British actor Benedict Cumberbatch has apologized after describing black people as 'colored' on US television, saying he is 'an idiot' and is 'devastated to have caused offense'.

The 38-year-old Sherlock star was widely condemned after using the racial term during a debate on the lack of diversity on British screens on the PBS talk show Tavis Smiley last Wednesday.

But on Monday night, he issued an apology for his 'incorrect' and 'offensive' use of the phrase, saying: 'I'm devastated to have caused offense by using this outmoded terminology.

'I offer my sincere apologies. I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done.'

SOURCE

A term that was routine up until a few years ago is now the deepest depths of wickedness, apparently.  Where will it end?



7 comments:

Stan B said...

The less actual racism and bigotry that exist, the more these minor "micro-aggressions" must be played up in order to keep the outrage going.

My guess is that soon a white person acknowledging pigmentation differences at all will be considered "offensive."

Jerry Doctor said...

Just want to make sure I've got this right. If I say "colored people" I'm a bigot but saying "people of color" shows I'm enlightened.

I'd make a reference to the Queen's English but that would probably set the LGBTA types after me.

Use the Name, Luke said...

Where will it end?

Apparently in conflicts very much like the Sunni vs. Shi'ite one. Where it goes from there depends on the availability of WMDs.

Bird of Paradise said...

Damn whimp-out its too bad he did'nt them them to take their apology and shove it

stinky said...

A term that was routine up until a few years ago is now the deepest depths of wickedness, apparently.

If they don't make it easy to trip up, who will they have to condemn?

Anonymous said...

Since white is a color too by way of adding red, blue & green colors together, so you should be to call an European-American colored also. Of course we all know that we, European-Americans, are not really 'white' either.

slinky said...

People should be referred to by their Pantone Color name. Look here